Friday, June 7, 2013

Big Easy Fine, but Give Me My Island by Chi-Ping

Hey, Y’all,
I promised to tell you about New Orleans. What a drag! We couldn’t go anywhere without mom hanging on the line. The one time, I got out of the house on poppy, she chased me until I met a lady who offered me solace from my pursuer, and promptly betrayed me turning me over like a sack of potatoes.
City Park scents under those old Live Oak Trees hold history, not just the scent of the day. I could tell you stories, oh my! Birds, I mean big birds by the lagoons, waiting to be chased. I didn’t like mom too much then, she always spoiled fun. Blondie just enjoyed having her with as if it were a special treat or something. In fact they’re pretty similar, neither one of them is too bright, but they surprise you sometimes. She never did let go of us outside.
Did I tell you about the two obnoxious puppies mom brought in from the road? She calls the black little pit Lucky. When he sees her he sits with his little chest sticking out, showing off his white stripe, like he’s some kind of good boy or something. She tells him how good he is; he soaks it up like a pad of butter, the little suck up. I growl at him every chance I get. Who wants a needle tooth monster chewing your hind quarters? Or eating your food? Robert Redford, they’re actually talking about keeping him for real; are they nuts? If we go back to the little apartment in New Orleans near City Park with a golden retriever, we’ll never fit.
Squirrels in the tree, rapidly become no fun at all, if you can’t run around barking. They drove Blondie nuts; she couldn’t get over prey she’d never seen before. That and they sat on the lower limbs taunting her, “chatter-chatter” shaking their tails. We knew what that meant.  I trained my attention on prey I could catch, cats. They were everywhere, if that slow woman would speed up, I’d have been catching some. New Orleans, that’s in Louisiana, the hunters’ paradise. Blondie and I have never seen or smelled critters like these before. One day we were walking on the Delgado Campus, Blondie stuck her nose under a bush and there was a Muscovy, a huge ugly duck laying right there an inch from her nose. I was stunned, what would happen, I stared at Blondie and the Muscovy, who were eye-to-eye. Mom pulled Blondie back before she could do anything, but then Blondie began to jump up and down, screaming, “Did you see that duck?” She went nuts, barking her fool head off. Mom started laughing and stood there while Blondie got it out of her system and we went home. Mom told poppy that Blondie had a brain freeze, which gave her time to get Blondie away from the duck. They had a good laugh about this. That duck didn’t move either; I didn’t hear her saying it had a brain freeze.
Blondie and I rode in the SUV all over Louisiana. We liked riding. And then one day we went on a ride to Florida, which is a long way. The SUV broke down at midnight in a dark overgrown stretch of road in Alabama. I got scared. I had to go something fierce, but in a tone of voice I had not heard from mom before she told me, no, not now!
Mom praised God and science for cell phones. A little while later the tow truck dropped us off at La Quinta. First thing we went for a potty. After a slow walk with lots of sniffing, mom had a plan. She said we had thirty hours to catch our flight in Orlando and we could do it.  

We flew back to Puerto Rico. When I strutted out of the airport a man yelled to my mom, “That’s a boriqua dog!” She smiled, nodded her head. The man called out to the other men, who looked at me, “That dog’s come home.” They cheered for me. My tail flew high; my mouth hung wide open happy face.   

No comments:

Post a Comment